I'm Floored

Wow! I've never really discussed our floors before, they're just sort of there. I would guess they are maple but not really sure. They do look like a classic basketball floor, without the school logo and lines. I've often teased about putting the furniture out in the yard and hosting a sock hop.
But that's only in the "public" areas of the house. Upstairs and in the back the boards are wider (about 4") and stained a darker walnut that matches the trimwork. I've always assumed those boards are oak but not really sure. When we first moved in Amy applied a coat of commercial grade clear polish to all the floors and I've since tried paste wax and a car buffer - rough on the knees. The floors really do need a good resurfacing. There is some sagging and gaps in places but overall they've held up well. If and when I ever get around to renting a sander, I've pretty much decided to go with Minwax® Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors. I've also thought about using our orbital sander but that might take a while. Any other product reviews/recommendations?

Comments

  1. I can't say that I've used the Minwax polyurethane, but I've heard good things about it from a number of people. Personally, we've had good luck with Varathane's polyurethane Diamond Finish, which has stood up well to sand and multiple dogs. As for sanding, we're planning on renting a floor sander when we refinish our floors (hopefully early this spring), as I just can't imagine doing this with our wee little orbital sander (considering that our floors are in pretty bad shape in places). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment