Back to Work

The never ending window project moved a little bit closer to completion. This evening I was able to get one coat of the "Apple Brown Betty" paint applied. Hopefully by this weekend it'll be done and I can post the classic Before & After shots. With over thirty windows and two thirds of them without storms or screens, I've begun to research manufacturers. These folks will let you "try a storm window risk free". And of course in the magazine which arrived on my doorstep today was an small article with a unique idea of a screen built into the storm. They only average $300 per window. Let's see, $10,000+ for custom windows that I'll paint and install myself, hmmm... guess I'll keep working on building my own replacement storms from scratch. At this pace I'll get them all done in time for retirement!

Comments

  1. Shareen,

    My husband and I recently purchased a foursquare house in Minnesota (also in the Midwest) and our floors throughout are maple. Maple is also what they use on basketball courts.

    One bit of advice, after just refinishing our second floor... if you do end up staining the floors (which, I don't recommend if they are indeed maple) make sure to put down a 'sealer/primer' before applying the stain. Maple does not take stain well, as the stain has a tendency to 'raise the grain' and make the appearance of the floor blotchy.

    BTW: You can take a look at our floors at this web address (see the 2nd page... where we post picts of our new house)

    http://704-garek.washburn.k12.nd.us/House/House.php

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment