First Harvest: Rhubarb Crunch

The crops are already coming in. I decided that this year I'm going to make better use of the rhubarb, more than just jelly that the family won't eat. Both plants are well established with several stalks. So after cutting off about four cups worth I composted the noxious leaves, rinsed off the dirt and baked some Rhubarb Crunch.

The recipe is from Helen Guyer and was found in the Dana, Indiana 49er's Club 1974 Home Cooking cookbook. Here's the recipe for you to try:

4 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Dice rhubarb; add sugar and salt; place in bottom of 8" x 11" shallow baking dish.

1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg

Stir above until crumbly, spread over rhubarb, sugar and salt. Melt 1/3 cup butter and spread over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool. Top with whipped cream.

Comments

  1. I'm getting my first crop of rhubarb this summer after transplanting some plants given by my mother-in-law last year. I'll have to give this yummy-sounding recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment