Holey Grass

Don't take your shoes off in our yard, yet. Something has been emerging from the ground. There are holes bored about the size of a fat Kindergarten pencil every couple of feet. I don't think it's beetles, perhaps catapillars? Aliens? I don't know.
Where there is grass, it has greened up but as you can see there are still large patches of thatchy dead stuff. The clover has started up so maybe it'll fill in the holes.
I priced grass seed today at TSC but just got depressed about throwing more money away on the lawn.

Comments

  1. May I suggest calling the county extension agent. Every county in Indiana has one. Their job is not only to assist farmers but to also assist homeowners with their horticultural problems. I'm certain yours will offer answers about your lawn invasion. If it is new to your area, they may even stop by to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got a really great Purdue Extension Co-op office here. I guess my real problem is that I don't want to soak the lawn with time, money and chemicals. It's just where the kids play and the dog does her thing. Since Japanese Beetle grubs feed on grass roots, any suggestions on an alternate "native" groundcover? Maybe if I didn't mow it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried corn gluten? It is natural, inexpensive, and works on the grubs. It smothers them, but doesn't hurt your grass.... it also (I think) will smother broadleaf weeds. Check it out that TSC...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment