I'm Floored

While out and about I picked up a free copy of the Indianapolis House and Home magazine. Of course the lead story is about the upcoming Indianapolis Home Show which in it's 85th year is the oldest home show in America. I'll certainly try to get tickets.
But another article about hardwood floors tucked in the back caught my eye, particularly this statement. "To provide even more options, many flooring manufacturers often distress the various types of wood, creating a one-of-a-kind look." The article goes on to explain how they use chains, wire brushes and scrapers to obtain just the right look.
I'm not sure why I've been so concerned about refinishing our hardwood floors when we already have a unique wear pattern. Once again, by simply NOT doing anything, we have fallen back in step with fashion:-)

Comments

  1. Purposefully "distressed" anything just bugs me, whether it's jeans, furniture, pictures frames, and now floors.

    At the same time, my first thought was similar to yours - hey, instead of going through all the trouble to sand then refinish my old floors, maybe I could just skip the sanding part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not sand the wood. We sand the finishes to make them smooth but we leave the burns, deep marking and age marks in our antiques. They look real.
    This summer is a refinishing summer for our antiques. We have had them for 20 to 40 years. There are structural things that I need to replace or rebuild but that is different. allen b

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment