Project Planning

We've decided that the upstairs bathroom is probably the next major project to tackle so we're in the most dreaded phase: planning. (phantom organ music plays) This is where we haggle over ideas and wrestle with the reality of what finances will allow. How authentic do we get? Do we add modern features or change our lifestyle to fit the room?
I was looking back through Rejuvenation's Kitchen & Bath 2005 catalog for ideas and found a great comment:

A fortune spent insulating walls, replacing windows, and installing cabinets... then just when there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the money runs out. Suddenly the "not so bad" fixture at the local big box store for $9.95 - plastic shade included - starts looking pretty attractive. Funny thing about our customers, though. They'll leave an old bare bulb on frayed wires in the middle of their dream kitchen - for a year - rather than drop a few dollars on a cheap fixture that's gonna bug them every time they walk into the room.

Now we've never purchased anything from them, yet. but it reminded me of the ceiling light in the bathroom pictured here. When it shorted out about two years ago, I took the fixture down intending to rewire it. But since we're still undecided on the future style of the room I haven't put the time into it. So all that's left is two yellow wire nuts hanging in the middle of the ceiling.
Don't worry, we haven't been fumbling around in the dark - though that might explain my recent hair style. There are still two wall sconces beside the mirror.

Comments

  1. Hi Ben - have you looked at schoolhouse electric yet? I think their lighting is a tad less espensive than rejuvination. Of course, rejuvination does have some more ornate styles while schoolhouse electric keeps it a bit more simple. I'm excited to see where you go with the "look" of your bathroom. What year was your house built?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just went though your photo stream and I am in LOVE with those bathroom lights. If you don't keep those, I'll buy them from you. They would look PERFECT when I remodel our main bath. At some point someone put in a really weird lighting system in our main bath that ... I can't even explain it it's so tacky. I think it must have been the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just bought a medicine cabinet from Van Dykes that replicates the one you have, and the sconces are beautiful so you already have a great start if you keep those three items. If you don't like them, you'll receive a good price so treat them well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got the yellow tile. I've got the Pepto-Bismol pink. The bad thing is that mine is immaculate, but what goes with pink? Ain't home improvement fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry - you must go and see if you can find the most recent addition of Atomic Ranch. There is a funny story in there (at least I thought it was a wee bit funny) about a couple in the midwest who bought a house recently because it had an entirely pink kitchen. The original owner was the current owner, and had lived there 50+ years. Every original appliance was in the kitchen and immaculate...pink fridge, pink clothes dryer and washer, pink cabinets, pink countertops. I couldn't believe it...so much pink. I guess it had been on the market a long time...but this couple went on and on about how much they love it. (i'm not a pink fan myself).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment